Friday, December 11, 2009

Nicholas Rodriguez Interview

Daytime Confidential has a new interview with out actor Nicholas Rodriguez, the man who plays gay character Nick Chavez on One Life to Live. In addition to his role on OLTL, Nicholas is also currently starring as another gay character in a new web series called Then We Got Help.

Here's a bit of what Nicholas had to say about his role as Nick:

DC: You are definitely sharing your craft on One Life to Live. Your scenes this week where Nick is in the hospital after being beaten up by homophobic thugs have been riveting. Was it difficult taping those scenes?

NR: Definitely. First off, I was nervous as hell! Secondly, there was the pressure to represent it accurately for everyone who has gone through something like that, not just being gay bashed, but any kind of physical attack because of who you are. I didn't want to do anything that would disrespect anyone who had gone though that. Everyone I worked with in those scenes, from Scott Evans and Brett Claywell to Susan Haskell and Michael Easton were incredible. I mean, you're working with Susan Haskell, this Emmy-winning actress, and she just gives it to you! Everything she has. There's nothing like it. She makes you better.

DC: The scenes were incredibly well done. You mentioned Brett and Scott, who play One Life to Live's starcrossed gay couple Kyle and Fish, aka Kish. Your character, Nick, could have been a typical scheming interloper for soaps, but you have giving Nick rooting factor. Are you surprised that fans actually like Nick as much as Kish?

NR: You know, I can't say that I am surprised, because that was always the intention, at least for me! [Laughs]. It definitely humbles me, though that the fans are responding. At first, the character was only supposed to be on for a couple of days, but One Life to Live's executive producer Frank Valentini pulled me aside and said, "You can make this character what you want. The more likeable you make him the more possibilities there are." So I just sort of ran with that. I talked a lot with Brett and Scott about how to play the story. We all said, "Let's not do the typical, jealous, spurned lovers" story. I wanted to make Nick likeable and human. The more we go along, the more excited I am about the role, because a.) I love playing Nick and b.) I love everyone I work with and c.) I want to keep playing Nick!

Be sure and check out the whole interview! The web series is also worth watching. There's only one episode up so far (the series just debuted today) but it's really funny.

No comments: