Friday, October 23, 2009

Moving Out of Melrose Place

It's never nice to celebrate someone losing their job, but I have to admit that when I read the news this morning that Melrose Place was writing out the characters played by Ashlee Simpson-Wentz and Colin Egglesfield, I was pleased.

As I've noted before, I think those two in particular are the biggest weak spots in the new series and I'm glad to see that the powers that be are making much needed casting adjustments early in the series, in the same way that the original show did.

Egglesfield
always delivers eye candy, of course, but then so do all of his male co-stars, each of whom brings more acting talent to the table.

I would have been okay with Auggie sticking around for awhile, I guess, but I think they really had to get rid of Simpson-Wentz's character, Violet, as soon as possible. I'm not even sure the people who created the show knew quite what they were aiming for when it came to this character, but whatever it was, they didn't achieve it and her scenes were pretty painful to watch.

With these two leaving and Heather Locklear returning as Amanda, things are looking up! I haven't had a chance to watch last Tuesday's episode yet, but so far I have to admit that I'm enjoying the show. This honestly surprises me, since I was more than half convinced that I'd find it as awful as 90210 and Gossip Girl.

No comments: