Friday, August 21, 2009

Interesting Quote from Y&R Writer

Now that I'm all caught up with Kish, both Nuke and the Y&R characters are on the horizon. However, it seems like I may not have to worry about catching up with the latter show at all. AfterElton has a new post wondering if the show is de-gaying itself after co-head writer Scott Hammer said the following:

“At this point, we are not doing a gay story, and we never actually were doing a gay story. What we were playing with Rafe was the lengths to which Adam will go to accomplish his goals. And what we were really seeing was that he would stop at nothing. And, at this point, I don't see a future for Rafe and Adam."

Well, it became clear to me fairly quickly that there was no long term future in Rafe & Adam, but I thought that there would still be a future for Rafe and someone else, whether it was the newly alive and out Philip or somebody completely new.

Does this mean that Rafe will just fade away, as so many gay characters not connected to core families (and at least one who was, General Hospital's Lucas) have in the past? Will the same happen to Philip?

I hope The Young and the Restless isn't backing away from groundbreaking story telling, but I honestly wouldn't be all that stunned if it turned out that they were. Then again, I was very surprised that they decided to introduce gay characters at all, so maybe they'll shock me again by giving Rafe and/or Philip a serious love interest.

No comments: