Sunday, April 03, 2011

Confirmed: Gays in Salem!

I wrote last week about the rumor that Days of Our Lives was finally, after 45 years on the air, going to embark upon a major gay storyline for one of its characters. In the time since, more rumors seemed to confirm that the gay character would indeed be Will Horton. As the scion of both the Horton and the Brady clans, Will is pretty much the definition of a legacy character from a core family.

I decided not to get my hopes up until I had more definite confirmation that this was actually going to happen, though. After all, I've been waiting for Days to do a gay storyline for years and the daytime landscape doesn't seem very friendly to LGBT characters at the moment, given that there are currently none left on any soap and that the last show to introduce a major gay pairing later tried to blame the couple for bringing down their ratings!

Well, how's this for confirmation? This weekend Chandler Massey, the actor who portrays Will Horton, attended the Kid's Choice Awards and confirmed that the show will be writing a gay storyline for his character this summer!

In spite of all the times that I've been burned by soaps in the past, I'm actually excited about this. After all, this is my soap, the one I grew up with. I honestly had given up hope of ever seeing a major gay character in Salem and it would once have seemed beyond my wildest dreams that the LGBT character in question would be a Horton and/or a Brady!

Of course, I do worry about what the quality of the story will be and if they'll truly commit to giving Will a love life, or any story at all beyond just coming out. Rumors are flying about him being paired with Chad, with Dario, or with an as yet unseen character, but only time will reveal what they have in store for Will.

I think the best part of this news so far, though, is that Chandler Massey, unlike certain other actors in the recent past, honestly seems to be excited about this development for his character. That earns him major respect in my book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am thrilled that this storyline is finally about to happen. I get so frustrated when people like me are not represented on television, but at the same time I am trying to remember that this is a soap opera.

I wanted to comment on the part where you wrote Chandler confirmed the storyline for his character. One could assume that since he is speaking out, but nowhere in the video does he say that it is the character of Will that is involved. He just confirms that the story will happen this summer.

Seth said...

True, but I believe the interviewer had asked him what was coming up for him on the show and talking about the gay story was his response.

Either way, it has been reported on the soap sites and not denied by the show, so I think that's a good indication that it will be Will. :)