Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rest in Peace, Molly Ivins

I just got home from work and saw the bad news. Molly Ivins, a columnist who has become a hero to me ever since I first became politically aware, is gone. I knew she was battling breast cancer again, but somehow I never doubted that she'd beat it. All you had to do was read her columns to know that this woman was a fighter. In fact, she'd already beaten the disease twice before.

Her monthly columns in The Progressive were always the first thing I turned to when the magazine arrived. She was wise, passionate, and so very, very funny. She stood up for true progressive values and spoke the truth to power on a daily basis.

I really don't feel like I have adequate words to express how tragic this loss feels. At 62, it was far too early for her to leave us. The loss of her voice will leave a huge void to be filled.

If you've never read Molly's writing, do yourself a favor and go check out her books. I'd recommend Who Let the Dogs In or Bushwhacked.

Rest in peace, Molly Ivins. You were one of a kind.

No comments: